Welcome to Reality Bites! Let's Get Lost! A place to escape into a wonderful book that takes you away from reality! Here you will find awesome book reviews, fun giveaways, and author info! Enjoy!!
**This site is for mature audiences 18 and older only**
As a musician at the popular college café Coed Joe’s, high school senior Kai Manter is never lacking for male attention. Out, proud, free-spirited, and sexually aware, Kai sets his sights on his darkly Gothic and undeniably bad-tempered coworker, Jamie Arlotta, a freshman at the local arts university. Sporting long hair and alluring hippie style, Kai expects his interest will be reciprocated, with satisfying sex as the end goal. That’s what usually happens. But Jamie’s lessons in life have been harsher. Having been sexually abused by his older stepbrother for several years, Jamie has grown an impenetrable outer shell meant to keep the world at a safe distance.
Kai is angry at first when he takes the brunt of Jamie’s bad temper, but after Kai accidentally discovers the abuse Jamie has suffered, he wants to fix things. Kai’s plan is based on what he knows best—music—and he stages a “musical intervention” to let Jamie know he’s not alone and things can get better. When Jamie’s perspective changes and he emerges from his shell, Kai changes, too, gaining a whole new understanding of what sex can be when love is there too.
This is such a sweet lovely coming of age love story between
two teenage guys.When I first saw the
blurb I was like 'oh cool, I love an M/M story' but how wrong was I.This is so much more.
Kai is in his last year of high school and planning to study
music at college next year.His parents
both teach there and they are from the hippy generation school of thought.They love their two sons and as long as they
are happy with their life decisions, that's all that matters.Kai is passionate about music and plays
several instruments.He also has a job
singing at a local coffee bar.
Jamie is a guy in his first year at college that also works
at the same coffee bar,when he isn't
working he seems to spend a lot of time there.He catches Kai's eye and Kai wants to get to know him better.Direct contact does not seem to work with
Jamie.He can be very cold, moody and
off-handish. Kai decides to stage an intervention by putting together selected
playlists of songs to sing in an effort to speak to him through music.
It takes a long time and a series of other events between
Kai and Jamie but they eventually become friends which then grows into love.
This is a very slow building story but it is perfect.Nothing too hurried about this and it
shouldn't be either.Jamie has had, and
still has so much going on in his life so anything faster than this would make
him run.Kai is very sensitive to
Jamie's needs and feels so much for him that it overwhelms him.He is very protective of Jamie.I love how vulnerable and sweet Jamie is once
he comes out of his shell and learns to trust Kai.
There are so many beautiful, heartfelt moments in this story
that I frequently had tears in my eyes. This is a coming of age love story
between two young men. One is stronger than the other and will have to fight
the good fight for both of them.In the
end the fight will be worth it.
I give this 4 stars.
Top Ten!! Songs in Intervention. By Mia Kerick
Music, and in specific, pop music, inspired me to write my first YA novel, Intervention. I wish it was some type of super cool, unconventional musical selection like “Eclectic Prog” that served as my muse, but alas, it was the American Top Forty. In my defense, I included songs from the top forty lists of the past twenty years’ (and more), so I’m pretty sure you will find them catchy.
My challenge was to encapsulate the entire meaning of the song in less than two lines. And in order to work the message I wanted to relay into the text of the novel, I had to study the lyrics and be very selective over my choice of phrase. That was kinda fun, but incredibly hard to do. And so I invite you to take a look at ten songs—there are many more—from Intervention, and the lyrics I chose to help Kai speak to Jamie.
Kai is a high school senior who works as a musician in a college coffee bar Jamie is the very broken college freshman who is a server at the coffee bar and will only listen to Kai’s words when they are in song.
1.Sara McLachlan’s “Angel”—the first song Kai performs during which he notices Jamie noticing him. You’re in the arms of an angel, may you find some comfort here Jamie desperately needs comfort.
2. Tears for Fears’ “Mad World” performed Adam Lambert (American Idol) style—the dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had. When Kai performs this song Jamie literally runs away. It hits too close to home.
3. “Freedom ’90” by George Michael—Kai performs this song to underscore both Jamie and his need for freedom from those who want to control them. All we have to see is that I don’t belong to you and you don’t belong to me.
4. Nine Inch Nail’s “Hurt” performed Johnny Cash style—I focus on the pain, it’s the
only thing that’s real. Kai tries to show Jamie that he understands his pain.
5. Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know”. Kai wants Jamie to know it is okay to be angry. It’s not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me.
6. R.E.M.’s “Everybody Hurts”. When you’re sure you’ve had enough of this life, well hang on… Kai tries to show Jamie that he should hang onto the hope that things will get better.
7. The Beatles’ “Long and Winding Road”—The long and winding road that leads toyour door… This song is in Kai’s mind as he tries to fall asleep one night after he meets Jamie, because he knows the road to Jamie’s heart is going to be long and winding, with no shortcuts.
8.”Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield—I’m just beginning, the pen’s in my hand, ending unplanned. Jamie asks Kai to sing a song of inspiration to a long lost friend.
9. Elton John’s “Your Song”—My gift is my song and this one’s for you. Music is all Kai has to offer Jamie and he knows it.
10. “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel—I want to be that complete; I want to touch the light the heat I see in your eyes. You will need to listen to the audiobook to find out where and when and why Kai sings this to Jamie.