Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Trying Not To Love You by Megan Smith

 
Trying Not To Love You
By: Megan Smith
 
 
MacKenzie Cahill has dealt with overbearing and overprotective brothers her entire life, making it near impossible to enjoy her teenage years. Having a boyfriend was practically impossible until she met a guy that wasn't afraid to stand up to them - Dominic. He was sweet, thoughtful, and everything MacKenzie ever wanted in a man.

But when they go away to college at Old Dominion University, MacKenzie sees a whole new side of Dominic and begins to wonder if he really is different from every other guy.

Her world is turned upside down after a party, and her brothers' best friend Hunter is the one there to offer her a shoulder to cry on. The chemistry between them is electric, and feelings for each other that have been hidden for years are finally voiced.

Is Hunter willing to be disloyal to his best friends in order to be with the one girl he's always secretly wanted?
 
 
*Copy of book provided by author for an honest review*

It all started with a kiss in the rain.....
 

Do you remember your first crush? The butterflies you would get just being in the same room as him? That all consuming innocent puppy love that seems to take over your whole world for the duration of that crush.

And what about that first love? And how you are convinced that you will never love another as much as you love that first?

What if that first crush and first love were the same person?

That is exactly what this book is about!

MacKenzie was rendered speechless the first time she saw Hunter sitting in her kitchen when she got home from school. He had just moved to the neighborhood and their families became fast friends. And those little butterflies MacKenzie felt when she was near Hunter continued as the years progressed until they turned into a full fledge flock of birds. She was head over heels, but Hunter was unwilling to cross the line her brothers has made. They made it very clear to Hunter that MacKenzie was off limits.

I loved Hunter. I could tell he really cared about Kenzie. But it pissed me off that he was unwilling for so long to stand up to her brothers. I understood the whole protective brother thing, but there were a few times I think it was exaggerated. Specifically with Mason. I was able to overlook that though because I really did love the growing relationship between Hunter and Kenzie.

The story line of Trying Not To Love You is not a new one. It is definitely one that has been done before. But there are a few twists and turns that make the story stick out. It moves at a pretty nice pace and I have to say, I was hooked immediately. The ending did feel a bit rushed to me as there was quite a few pretty large jumps of time. I am not sure if having those spans of time added would have made a difference. I personally loved the characters, so I would have liked to have more time with them.

I do have to say, there is a pretty big cliffhanger that will leave you cussing up a storm. I didn't read the reviews on this one, so it took me by surprise. Now that I have read the book, I honestly can not say if knowing beforehand would have made a difference to me or not.

Even if you are one to wait for all the books in a series to be released, this is one I recommend adding on your TBR.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment