Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Becky's Book Bash Experience and Giveaway!!
It has been a little over a week now that I was lucky enough to attend Book Bash. It is not an event that you can easily recover from though. I am still in the "I can't believe I was there" stage. It truly was an experience like no other. When I walked into that room filled with all the authors we all know and love, I was overwhelmed! Looking back, I think I stayed in a state of shock the entire time I was there.
Did I mention is was my first ever book signing? Yep, it was! And let me tell you, I now know just how much of a signing virgin I was! Looking back on the day, there are a TON of things I would have done differently. Starting with not being so star struck when meeting each of the authors! I felt like I lost my voice when standing in front of each of them. Now, I am kicking myself for the chances I had but missed out on to chat it up with them all a bit more.
But like with everything else in life, I have learned from my mistakes! I am now better prepared for the next signing event I plan on attending in December. Or at least I hope I am (lol). I will be sure to keep you all up to date with how that one turns out for me. But for now, I thought I would share some of the things I took away from this signing. Kind of like my Top Five Book Signings Lessons.
1. Do NOT Skip breakfast! I never put much stock in the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" crap we are always hearing. Well, turns out it is true! Especially, if you are going to be at an event where time is of the essence and you don't even want to stop for a bathroom break much less to eat. I made the mistake of NOT having any food before Book Bash. Needless to say, I was crashing much earlier than I would have if I had jus taken the time to have a little something before the event. Lesson learned!
2. Stay at the hotel where the event is being held. I made the mistake of waiting too long to book my room and was SOL with getting a room at the event location. I did manage to get a room at a hotel directly across the street, but it sure wasn't the same.
3. PLOT PLOT PLOT!! Make sure to get a map of the room layout so you will know where each author will be sitting. And arrange your books accordingly. This is one thing I did do right and believe me when I say, smartest thing ever! It made life easier to have the book right there on top to grab when I got to the author's table. And have an extra bag to put your signed books in.
4. Take pictures! I managed to get a few during the pre-registration event, but completely forgot about doing it during the actual signing event. SMH. I am blaming it on my "star struck" state of mind!
5. HAVE FUN!! Realize that you probably will not get to meet every single author at a signing, especially if it as large as Book Bash. So, meet the ones that you can and enjoy the experience of it.
So, those are just a few of the things i took away from my first book signing. And I have to say, even though it was a bit overwhelming at times, I could not have picked a better event to have my first experience with. Maryse and all the volunteers, authors, sponsors, etc. that came together and made Book Bash possible ROCKED IT! So, a HUGE THANKS goes out to each and every single one of them!
Now, how would you like an opportunity to win some goodies I brought back from Book Bash? Things liked signed swag, a signed tote bag by some of the authors and a signed paperback copy of Rock My Bed by Michelle A. Valentine? Well, good news! There is a giveaway for all that below!! This is open to US only. Sorry to our International followers, I really wanted this to be a ail able to you as well but shipping costs are extremely high.
OPEN TO US RESIDENTS ONLY!!!