Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: Screaming in the Silence by Lydia Kelly

Screaming in the Silence
By: Lydia Kelly
 



Running away from a complicated life, Raleigh finds herself plunged into a nightmare. While hitchhiking across the country, she and her companion are struck by a car. Her friend is killed but Raleigh survives and her life is thrown into the hands of the three men involved in the accident. Bruised and in shock, Raleigh is locked in the basement of their remote country house, unsure of her fate. Kaden, one of her captors, is handsome and at times protective, and he convinces his friends to spare Raleigh’s life to ransom her. But the safety he provides is only from his friends, and Raleigh must face his sinister intentions. Agreeing to become his lover in return for continued protection, she begins to see a tender and caring side of Kaden despite their short but violent history. As the ransom payment begins to unravel and Raleigh's life hangs in the balance, she wonders how much she can trust Kaden. Are the feelings she has developed for him genuine or a result of her situation? Does he truly care for her, as he claims, or does he just see her as a ransom payment?
 
 
 

This book left me feeling very conflicted. Especially the ending. How could I possibly like a book that test the boundaries in every way? I asked myself this very question through out the whole time i was reading and even after I finished.

The only answer I could come up with is the writing. When an author is good at what they do, they can take <i>any</i> story and make it one, us the readers, will want to read. And we will enjoy it, even if the subject matter is dark and twisted.

And that is exactly what you get with Screaming in the Silence. There is so much darkness in this book, I never believed Raleigh would find her way out again. The horrors she suffers throughout this book, left me feeling sick to my stomach. And when the lines start to blur, I asked myself if it is just circumstances or something more.

Raleigh is a survivor and will come out of this. That is what I kept telling myself through out the book. I had to believe that to be able to continue. But then I began to wonder, even if she made it out, would she really have escaped? I mean, she would still have to live with the memories. Could she do that? I had hope but honestly was not sure how she would. And the ending....well, I am still not sure how I feel about it. I think I am still processing.

If you can handle a book that is edgy with angst and some dark subject matter (this is a rape scene) then this is a book I would recommend. As I said above, the writing alone makes the book worth the read.
 
 
 

 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment