Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: The Tied Man by Tabitha McGowan

The Tied Man
By: Tabitha McGowan
 
 
Lilith Bresson, an independent, successful young artist, is forced to travel from her home in Spain to the wild borderlands of northern England, to repay her feckless father’s latest debt by painting a portrait of the enigmatic Lady Blaine Albermarle.

On her first night at Albermarle Hall she meets Finn Strachan, Blaine’s ‘companion’, a cultured and hauntingly beautiful young man who seems to have it all. But Lilith has an artist’s eye, and a gift for seeing what lies beneath the skin. She soon discovers that Blaine is more gaoler than lover, and if the price is right, depravity has no limits.

As the weeks pass, Lilith finds that she too is drawn into the malign web that her patron has spun, yet against the odds she forges a strong friendship with the damaged, dysfunctional Finn. In a dark, modern twist to an age-old story, Lilith Bresson proves that sometimes it’s the princess who needs to become the rescuer.

Please note that this storyline contains depictions of drug abuse, violence and non-consensual sexual activity.
 
 
So, I was in a bit of a reading slump and needed a book. Something dark and gritty was the request I put out over on our blog's Facebook page. And this book, The Tied Man, was the book recommended the most. I decided to give it a shot and downloaded the sample.

Now, I must admit I was not completely sucked in by the sample, and usually if the book has not grabbed my attention with that, then I don't buy. But with so many people recommending it, I figured there must be something I am missing, so I one clicked anyway.

And I am so glad I did!

This book definitely delivered in the dark and gritty department. But it also gave me something more. Sinister is the first word that came to mind as I was about a quarter of the way into reading. I knew immediately upon meeting Blaine that I did not like her. Finn was another story. It was obvious there was so much more to his story and I could not wait to keep reading and find out what it was.

And once Lilith arrives at Albermarle Hall, the word sinister turns to sadistic. The horrors that occur inside the walls of a seemingly beautiful setting will blow your mind. The thinks you read will have you running through a whole host of emotions to include disgust and self loathing for even continuing to read the book. I asked myself many times why I continued on when the actions of so many in the book were revolting?

The answer was actually pretty simple though. I needed to know that those innocent parties in the story were going to be okay. I had become invested in them and felt that stopping at any point would be like abandonment.

And that is how I know when I am reading something by a truly great author. When they have the ability to suck you into their characters world to the point that you can not walk away, then you know they are a master of their craft.

I will end my review here because there is not much else I can say without ruining things for you. This is a book you have to experience all on your own. If you have read the Dark Duet Series by CJ Roberts (and liked it), then this is a definite must read for you.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment