Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review: Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1) by Nina Lane















SPOILER FREE REVIEW -mature content reader discretion is advised.
5 Hearts out of 5
Genre: Adult Romance Erotica
My first 5 STAR RATING in 2013!!!!!!!

 photo tumblr_lnu9d6GfBY1qc66bjo1_500_zps9fe01ac5.gif  photo tumblr_m3xr0xINOk1qi0pey.gif




My Casting



 photo penelope-cruz-header2_zps9ee26520.jpg  photo e4a37fde-7019-48b1-ad22-f080c5605dee_zps09095ebf.jpg


‘We look at each other for a long moment. Something is off. I don’t know what it is.’
Not even sure I have the words adequate enough for a review. There is no big intricate plot. No suspenseful revenge driven characters. You meet two people in love and fighting to stay afloat after a secret from the past surfaces and changes everything.

Omission – to leave out, to neglect, to exclude, to disregard…
When was the last time you omitted information from the one you love? And how do you think they would feel once they knew the truth hidden in the omission?

‘There was a time when I never thought I’d have the life I do now. Never thought I’d be safe or have a home. I certainly never thought I’d fall in love. But all of that happened because I met Dean. He’s the one who turned my whole world right side up, who transformed all my warped ideas about relationships. Who proved that white knights really do exist. Who discovered alongside me that we are so much better together than alone.’



 photo Pen-lope-penelope-cruz-32479223-1280-800_zps0115ecef.jpg

Olivia Winter was living a solitary life as an undergrad student; trying to get her degree when she crosses paths with professor Dean West. Her attraction to him is immediate as is his attraction to her. As fate would have it Dean is not her professor. And because of this they are able to explore their attraction to its fullest.
Nina Lane definitely has a style of writing that agreed with my taste buds. She slowly pulled me in and at around 36% I knew these characters would forever stick with me. The emotional anguish was heavy. I was a teary eyed mess…. She has this way with words.
The book starts in the present then occasionally goes back to the past to show us how Liv and Dean met and fell in love. We also learn why Liv has led an isolated life and how Dean pulled her out from the dark past she couldn’t seem to escape.
'He is the one who once rescued me from bitter isolation.’


 photo Ben-Hill-for-HM-Summer-2011-DesignSceneNet-04_zps7c577007.jpg


There is one of many pivotal moment when she tells him it won’t be easy for them to be together. Basically handing him his walking papers before things progress between them.
“I don’t want you to walk away,” I said.
 “Good.” The lines between his eyes eased with relief. I gripped his wrists, a knot of fear binding my throat.
 “But you… you might want to go,” I warned. Darkness flashed in his expression.
 “Why?” My eyes stung. I swallowed hard.“Here be monsters,” I whispered.
And his response
“Liv,” he said, his voice rough with tenderness, “you don’t have to be afraid.” 
Why not?”
“Because I’ll slay monsters for you.”

After five years their happy union is put to the test when Liv makes a life altering decision. One Dean is not in agreement with. Weeks go by without them discussing the issue that has totally interrupted their happy life. Not to mention it effects their steamy love making sessions.
When they finally talk and flush out their feelings the truth emerges. Dean has been withholding vital information from his wife and she is none to pleased about it.
“You didn’t think I could handle it.”
 No. I wanted to protect you.”
“So you lied.”
“I didn’t lie.”
 “By omission, yes, you did.” For God’s sake. Our marriage is not supposed to have lies. My stomach roils with a surge of nausea.
…‘Now I know my instincts were right. I haven’t known my husband completely.’

I love how we get glimpse from Dean’s pov towards the end of the book. This took my feelings to a whole new level. He was intense, both his thoughts and emotions jumped off the pages.
I completely connected with Liv and Dean; more so Liv because I’m a woman. I've had her thoughts and felt her emotions at one point or another in my life. I have questioned my decisions and wondered if I did things for me or my husband.
The story lines carried an authentic tone thus creating a sense of familiarity within me. Again this is a nod to Lane’s excellent story telling skills..

My ThoughtsEXCELLENT! All married women should read this book!
 Why did I give this 5 Stars? Because I simply loved it! I strongly felt the depth of this couples love for one another. I could feel the intensity in their thoughts, actions and just about every word they spoke to each other.  We get great secondary characters were the author offers up just enough to make you want more. As a matter of fact she offers two secondary characters I would love to get to know better. Tyler and Kelsey.

My Ratings
Characters- Lovable
Writing Style- Excellent
Plot/Storyline- Gut-Wrenching, Soul Searching and Emotionally Charged
Steam Factor- High/Very Steamy
Overall- I LOVED IT!!! READ IT!!!
Now go forth and read. Then come tell us about it!







No comments:

Post a Comment