Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review: Relentless (Shattered Hearts #1) by Cassia Leo



4 Hearts


Goodreads Summary
Claire Nixon is a twenty-year-old college dropout with a secret.

To Claire, Adam Parker is just another flirty customer at the cafe, until a chance encounter and seemingly innocent comment spurs a bet between them. The bet is simple: If Adam can get Claire to reveal the secret that made her drop out of college, she has to re-enroll. If he doesn’t succeed, she gets to keep her secret and he has to stop stalking her at the cafe.

Claire thinks she has this one in the bag. She’s perfected the art of forgetting her past. But she isn’t prepared for Adam’s relentless pursuit or for him to share his own secrets. And she’s definitely not prepared for her rock star ex, and her secret, to come banging down her door one year later.

New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language, drug use, and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

My Thoughts
4.5 Hearts

This book starts with a very broken Claire. She is living life but not really living it. Does that make sense? She gets up and functions like a normal person is supposed to, but inside she is carrying a secret that little by little is eating away at her. She hides away him her apartment when she isn't at work and is self medicating by mediating 10+ times a day. It has become her crutch and the only way she knows to make it through the day.

Then she meets Adam. He is the hot new neighbor that seems to only have eyes for her. He is relentless in his pursuit of her and even more so in determining what it is she is hiding. But after a while, though that still is very much a factor in their growing relationship, it becomes more like the elephant in the room. It is there but neither of them are really talking about it. 

And like everyone else, Adam is carrying around some baggage of his own. But unlike Claire, he is more willing to open up about his past, especially when his feeling for her continue to become stronger. It is still not enough for Claire to share her secret. In the beginning, it was just not something she wanted to talk about. But now, she too has feeling for Adam and she is now worried if he knows what she did, he won't want her anymore. 

Let me say, I thought I had her secret all figured out from the little clues the author drops in the form of Claire's memories. But in reality, I HAD NO FREAKIN' CLUE!! When the truth comes out, it blew me away! Definitely not what I was expecting. 

This book ROCKED MY WORLD!! I seriously do not know why I put off reading it for so long. It was nothing like I was expecting it to be. It was so much more and then some. Which brings me to my rating. I so wanted to give this one 5 hearts. But the thing that held me back is, we do not get the full story. This book leaves us with Claire needing to make an important decision on top of some major changes that are happening in her life. So, right now I am only giving it 4.5, though I may come back and change it once I have the full story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment