Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Surrender the Dark by Donna Kauffman


Surrender the Dark: A Loveswept Classic Romance (The Three Musketeers #1)

by Donna Kauffman

Copy provided by publisher for review.

Also posted at Ms. Reality Goodreads

Summary from Goodreads

They call themselves the Three Musketeers: three lifelong friends, men who will put it all on the line in the name of honor and loyalty. Jarrett McCullough values those bonds as seriously as he values his job heading a covert group of operatives skilled in handling sensitive international information. But his current mission has suddenly gone very wrong—and he finds himself wounded and near death in the last place he ever expected to be.

 Rae Gannon is stunned to find her ex-boss bleeding from a gunshot wound, mere paces from her front door. It has been two years since her move to the remote Blue Ridge Mountains, where she tried to erase the memories and the pain she suffered from having been part of McCullough’s team. Yet as Rae tends to Jarrett’s battered body she realizes that the air between them is still sizzling with a slow-burning need. But this time there are more than just hearts at stake. The mission that almost got Jarrett killed threatens to put Rae back in harm’s way. And if they surrender to their desires, it may cost them their lives.

 

I was not to into this book.  I didn’t feel the emotional pull between the characters.  I thought it would be more in depth.  I would have also liked more of a backstory with Rae and Jarrett.  The book tells us very little about their lives together before they broke apart for 2 years.  I think I could have related to Rae better had I known what she went through and not just had it glossed over.  I would have also liked to know if there was sexual tension with them earlier in the time together.  The book did not focus on that.  Jarrett came off as a jackass.  Even at the end, he was okay, but I didn’t fall in love with him.

I did like how even though Rae was strong willed and stood up for herself, we did get to see glimpse of the other side of her. 

I gave this book 2.5 stars, but rounded up to 3.  It wasn’t a horrible story, but I thought more could be told to bring me into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment