Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress #4) by Jeaniene Frost



4.5 stars

A different vibe for this series, but it totally worked for me! I loved it!

Destined for an Early Grave took a (slight) step away from action packed fight scenes galore and a step toward dealing with some much deeper issues. The book starts off with Cat and Bones getting some much needed R&R. Trouble soon presents itself when Master vampire, Gregor aka "the Dreamsnatcher" starts inhabiting Cat's dreams and threatens to literally snatch her from Bones.The stress of dealing with Gregor brings some series issues between Bones and Cat to surface, which ends up fueling some emotional fights and one pretty crazy physical smackdown. 


I gave an incredulous glance down at his finger, still pressed into my chest. “Get that off me or I’ll knock it off.” His brow arched in open dare. “Take your best shot, luv.” You asked for it. My fist connected with his jaw. Bones ducked before I could land another one, green flashing out of his eyes. “Is that all you’ve got? Not nearly good enough.” And he jabbed me in the chest again. Oh, it’s on now, honey!



The issues between Cat and Bones go on for a large majority of the book. It is a change of pace for the series because Cat and Bones aren't working together against outside forces, planning secret missions and battling it out as a team like in the past. Things have come between them and they are rocked to the very foundation of their relationship. At times it was depressing and their lack of communication got on my nerves. But mostly I was just really nervous about whether or not they would be able to overcome their differences. With that said, I kind of liked the conflict between them, I felt like some things needed to be hashed out and it added a more real element to their relationship. 

What also worked really well to balance out the depressing state of Cat and Bones's relationship were the secondary characters. There were a few that really shined during this book. I really took notice of Spade in this one for his constant unwavering loyalty to Bones and how we always seemed to be pulling for him and Cat as a couple. Vlad was also great in this one and ends up being someone Cat turns to for comfort. Their friendship is one that I find kind of odd, but in a perfect sort of way that really intrigued me. Of course the book is kept interesting with laugh out loud moments and that trademark humor that this series has always had.


“Hey, Walks Like An Egyptian, how about for once you drop the formal stuff and talk like you live in the twenty-first century?” “The shit’s gonna splatter, start buggin’, yo,” Mencheres responded instantly. I stared at him, then burst out laughing.



Even though this was more emotionally heavy than past books, there are still some exciting action scenes and steaminess. And it wouldn't be complete without a few shocking revelations and plot twists. Most of which I did not see coming. What a great installment to this series! So good!






1 comment: